Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Taps

Camp Buehring, Kuwait

As I write this, Taps is flowing from a loudspeaker somewhere near the center of the camp. That means it is 11 PM here in Kuwait. If not for a flickering soft blue light generated by notebook computers atop soldierly bellies, we would be in total darkness. The diesel powered generator that keeps this dim light aglow drones endlessly just beyond the thin walls. It has become white noise which nobody even notices anymore. I made a discovery the other day, and it is being confirmed at this very moment. There actually is somebody in this Army that snores louder than I do! Thank you SGT Ryan! It is very easy to lose track of days here. Nothing appears to change from one day to the next. I even forgot that this was March. The desert kinda plays with your head. Rocks. Gravel. Sand. Sky. Buildings. People. All are the same timeless tan and gray color. At lunch this afternoon we watched the President give a speech in front of a sympathetic crowd from the American Legion. It was a little surreal listening to him talk about Iraq and Baghdad knowing that we'll be there in a few short days. This is all I can really crank out today. It has been a long one. God bless.


Lee

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I miss your snores. It make me sleep well! Love your blog! - me