Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Memorial

It has been a relatively quiet couple of days. Last night was pretty somber, though. We attended a memorial service for two soldiers killed in action over the weekend. This is the third one I've attended. There have been one or two others since we've been here, but we'd been out on missions and unable to attend. I hate these things. Back home these two guys were probably reported as just cold numbers in a steadily increasing death toll. I guess that's okay. I suppose we can't reasonably expect to have a meaningful personal connection to every death in this war. I didn't know either of these guys either. However, I saw the grief in the faces of buddies of mine that did know them. And I listened as their voices cracked when they spoke of the quality of their character. You didn't have to know these young men to feel deeply that something very special was lost.  I remember one of the speakers at the memorial service asking almost rhetorically, "Why is it always the good guys that get taken from us?" I don't remember what he said after that, but I remember looking at the sea of faces around me and thinking, "Because that is all we've got."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This paragraph is a very fine tribute to all those soldiers killed in service in Iraq.

s_hudson said...

Wow, Lee that is a very touching blog. All of us wives can't wait for all of you guys to come home safe and sound! It can't be fast enough. Everyone of you guys be safe out there. And to my love of my life Chris, if you read these blogs...
I love you and miss you! :(

Anonymous said...

That last sentence broke my heart. Well put friend, perfectly put.
I was happy to hear when you'll be home from Fondly.
I hope the time goes by quick until then, and slow while you're home.

Anonymous said...

You guys are in out thoughts and prayers every day. We appreciate the sacrifices both of the servicemen and women and their families. Our condolences are always with those who lose someone. They are not just cold names to alot of us. I try to ready about everyone and think about them and say a prayer for the families and loved ones who lost that brave soldier. One thing you are all teaching me, and I have been around awhile, is that I can't take anything for granted and to appreciate everything. I can't wait until you all can be back and with your loved ones again. Thanks again for all that you do. If you see my son-in-law Brian tell him I said hello and I am thinking about him.