Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Roller Coaster

Have you ever been to an amusement park with a signature thrill ride? It is usually some sort of roller coaster, and its image and logo are emblazoned on black t-shirts and souvenir bumper stickers. Ever been in line to get on one of those things for the first time? Remember how your stomach felt?

I was thinking of this the other day as we waited to roll outside the wire. We were going to an area I was entirely unfamiliar with having never been there before. An hour before, the convoy commander himself had approached me to try to find out how to get to our destination. On top of that, our element was only traveling with three humvees; significantly less firepower and armor than we'd become accustomed to. So, when the headset radios started crackling with reports of IED strikes and discoveries of unexploded IEDs in our area, I began to experience that familiar pre-roller coaster tension in the gut. Here we go. Fasten your seat belts. Keep all hands and feet inside the car. Enjoy the ride.

Once again, fortune smiled upon us. A few wrong turns were made, and we needed some help from HQ, but we did eventually reach our destination unscathed, performed our mission successfully, and returned to base.

The Iraqi PM, al Maliki, has been making press lately by bristling at reports emanating from the U.S. that his government is not making enough progress in meeting benchmarks, and increasing pressure in Congress for a withdrawal of U.S. troops. His puffed up retort that U.S. troops can leave 'any time they want' is being greeting with bemused smiles by many soldiers here. Everybody knows this is political posturing, and not an accurate reflection of the current state of readiness of Iraqi forces. I believe we're making a lot of progress across both fronts; pushing back the insurgency, as well as training and equipping the Iraqi Security Forces. However, my own sense is that we're nowhere near a tipping point that would allow the ISF to be self-sustaining.

I keep forgetting to throw in this little tidbit from several weeks ago. As we roll through the streets of just about any town in Iraq, it is very common to see kids run out to greet us, holding both hands up as if holding a soccer ball above their heads. This is, of course, the universal sign for, "Mista, Mista! Give football!" In a previous post, I believe I alluded to the fact that soccer balls are just as popular, if not more so, among Iraqi police and soldiers. However, the Iraqi security forces are generally a little more subtle when it comes to begging for soccer balls. So, one day when we rolled through an Iraqi Army checkpoint, I was a little surprised to see one of the soldiers manning the checkpoint standing next to the road childishly holding both hands above his head begging for a soccer ball. I about choked on my camelback when his partner smacked him on the back of the head and gave him an incredulous look that said, "What in the hell are you doing?!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lee, thanks for the link to your blog. It is very interesting and informative. I will be sure to keep checking for updates. ClearThinking1

Anonymous said...

I am a little worried about your picture. It looks like two soldiers are missing. I read several entries but didn't see an explanation. Hope everything is okay. You are all in my thoughts and prayers everyday. God bless you all.

Laporte said...

Dude, I prefer the roller coaster to taking a wrong turn in Iraq. Would 20000 soccer balls be more effective than the soldier surge plan?

Lee said...

The photo is "ripped" because our four-man team was reassigned, and split into two two-man teams; Bob and I on one team, and Duane and Marshall on the other. So, were in different parts of Iraq right now. As I am the primary contributor and custodian of this blog, I altered our team photo to reflect my current team composition.

Anonymous said...

Hey, your little boy loves to play RollerCoaster game! But I don't think he feel his stomach tight!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explaination regarding the photo. I am enjoying your blog and it helps me feel closer to my son in law who is there also. Any shred of news and information is so nice to hear right now. I just got worried about the two men and am glad to hear they are safe and well.