Wednesday, September 5, 2007

They're my rules, and I'll break them if I want to

In this little corner of cyberspace, I've tried to operate within self-imposed guidelines. Some of these guidelines are obvious. For reasons concerning operational security, I do not mention any specifics relating our job. I have not used any body's last names. I am intentionally vague or misleading when it comes to time. There are other operational references that I intentionally obscure, and frequently omit entirely. Admittedly, this can be quite frustrating. Often when I re-read posts, I'm left feeling dissatisfied and hollow because I am restrained from really digging into the substance and contexts of events.

I also have made an effort (for the most part) to steer clear of politics. Those who know me know my disposition already. I've resisted the temptation to turn this into a political forum or a sounding board for my own political point of view.

That being said, some may see this particular post as a diversion from the aforementioned policies. Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't. I'm of the opinion that this is essentially a stylistic deviation that does not necessarily violate my self-imposed restriction on political arguments. In any event, it is my intent that this be a one-time-only circumstance, and one in which I am actively soliciting reasoned, thoughtfully constructed opinion from all who care to participate.

Now, the meat of the issue: Brian de Palma has a new film that is being showcased at the Venice Film Festival in Italy. The name of the film is "Redacted" and was inspired by actual events. I will not provide a synopsis here, but encourage you to search the Internet and read anything and everything you can find on it. Pay particular attention to Mr. de Palma's motivation for making the film, and the effect he intends it to have. Is there any substantial difference between what Mr. de Palma is doing with this film and what countless terrorist cells are attempting to accomplish with the lies and distortion on their websites? It seems to me that both are trying to get me killed. What are the substantial differences between Brian de Palma and Adam Gadahn?

Again, this is a good faith solicitation for your comments and opinions. My next post will be a return to the same old boring war stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the heads up on this movie Lee. I did read about this movie and about the director and I also read several pros and cons on the whole thing. You know, this movie made a ‘surprise’ opening in Telluride Colorado very recently. These kinds of things that come out are indeed very frightening for our soldiers in the Middle East. It also makes all Americans working in the Middle East suddenly feel like huge targets. Only those soldiers, like yourself, who are over there now can feel this. The rest of us sit here in our comfy spots in our wonderful country enjoying our lives with friends and family. I can tell you that other Americans working in other Middle Eastern countries get very nervous when they read these kinds of movies are coming out. The publicity just looms out more over there than we may be seeing over here. There is very little anyone can do about such things except what you and so many of our soldiers are already doing. That is educating the natives of the Middle East about America and about what we are really like. It certainly doesn’t make your job easier and maybe keeps your mind more unsettled at times. I know how angry it must make you. So many of us feel the very same way.