Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Bad Kabobs...?

We've been offline for a while for a number of reasons. Foremost among them is simply the fact that the Internet service here is stunningly slow. We've also had a pretty high mission tempo. However, another reason is that the Army shuts down communication when a soldier is killed to allow time for investigation and proper military notification of the family. This policy was implemented several years ago after families started complaining that they were receiving news of losses from other military families as well as the rumor mill before officially being notified by the Army. Chalk this delay up to all three reasons.

Woke up to a cool, cloudy, slightly damp morning. Extremely dark clouds hung low and heavy over the base, contributing to an almost otherworldly surreal gloom. Brisk gusts of wind tugged at the ropes securing the tents, creating quite a racket inside the Internet cafe.

Missions have been...interesting. We found ourselves on a foot patrol right through the middle of one of the biggest cities in our AO. It was quite an experience. The streets were teaming with people just going about their daily lives. All the shops were open, the cafes and restaurants were pumping out some amazing smells, street vendors were in abundance. Kids were playing and riding bicycles, and old men were clustered around tables laden with chai (tea) and bread. The atmosphere conjured memories of my trip to China last year, and strolling through older sections of some of the big cities there. In this case, however, we didn't come as tourists. We came encased in heavy body armor, laden with weapons, and our eyes darted from rooftop to rooftop; from open windows to down back alleys, always looking for that sniper, gunman, or RPG. As we neared the conclusion of our patrol, an encounter reminded me that for all the concern about safety, situational awareness, and security, I wasn't doing my job; that 90% of which is simply to talk with people. I passed a small group of old men clustered in front of a cafe. A white-haired gentleman reached out and touched my arm. "Hey, why Americans no smile? Smile!! So full of life!" I had to laugh, and I promised him that I would smile more from now on.

Still have all fingers and toes. However, the local cuisine (and associated bacteria) have been playing havoc with the digestive systems of a couple of our team members. I don't want to embarrass them by naming names, but I'm not one of them, and neither is Duane. We're doing an excellent job of integrating into our supported unit, and are becoming much more familiar with the issues afflicting our area.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Does "pretty high mission tempo" mean "busy"? If so, I understand where you're coming from. My mission tempo has been pretty high too.

I'm only kidding. I adore Army jargon.