Friday, April 20, 2007

It's all about the kids...

It has been a while since my last posting, but it is not for want of trying. The Internet connection here is atrocious. It almost makes one pine for the days of dial-up...or carrier pigeon.

We're back from several more days at the "very bad place" Duane spoke of earlier, i.e. the hottest place in our AO. Fortunately, this trip was largely uneventful, although no less unpleasant. Had one heart stopping moment while manning a checkpoint (something that really isn't part of our job description). A thunderous boom rocked our vehicle. Duane and I looked at each other wide-eyed. "What the hell was that?!" Bob was in the turret and had the best view. He said other soldiers were staring at the back of our truck. When I climbed out to investigate, one of the infantry guys with us asked if we had explosives in the trunk. I said no. As I saw no damage, I popped the hatch to see inside. Turns out that the heat had expanded the air inside one of the soccer balls we keep in there to give to kids, and it exploded. Lets see if I can get Duane to push that up the chain of command for our Combat Action Badges!

We ended up having to sleep outside for a couple of days because the shipping containers we stayed in last time were full. Marshall opted to forgo the cots and slept inside the humvee. Unfortunately, a surprising number of mosquitoes, fleas, and gnats also thought this was a good idea and turned poor Marshall into a veritable smorgasbord. When he emerged in the morning, he looked like one of those historical medical photographs from the 1920's depicting smallpox. Have to give him credit. He didn't complain nearly as much as I think I might have, and he didn't let it slow him down a bit. Kudos.

Here is somebody I want y'all to meet. This is Muhammed. He is five years old, but he looks half his age. He has a birth defect that affects his digestive system. He needs several surgeries to correct the problem. The Americans are working with his father, and hopefully he will eventually get the help he needs. Today he got a soccer ball...a good one. One that shouldn't explode.

Last week we stopped by a children's hospital to deliver some stuffed animals to the patients. The hospital is located next to a city dump where we've seen mothers and children scrounging. They always smile and wave as we pass by in our convoys. Right now the dump is burning, and will continue to burn throughout the summer to keep down the pile, smell, and insects. What a great place to locate a children's hospital, eh? I think the trip actually meant more to me than it probably meant to the people we visited. It was a reminder of why we are here, why we are fighting and living in hardship, and where the hope for Iraq ultimately lies. I think we'll have to make regular visits there from time to time.

3 comments:

s_hudson said...

Funny story about the ball! But
those pictures of the children just breaks my heart. It makes me appreciate what I have and how healthy my children are. We all miss you guys, and can't wait to have everyone home. Takecare all of you. And if for some reason by passng you see my honey(CHRIS) please tell him I love him and miss him very much!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Poor your guys! Tell everybody in your team the mosquito spray is on the way in the care package! Let me kill the mosquitos! We miss you very much.

Anonymous said...

Your wonderful wife forwarded me this story eariler this week. I'm glad to hear you're as safe as you can be and that you feel good about being there. That makes me feel better about you all being there too. So thanks. I love you all.