Monday, April 30, 2007

It's a sepia-tone world

It is getting hotter. When the air conditioning goes out you feel it in a matter of about a minute and a half. Humidity is also way, way up there. We're nestled against the banks of the Euphrates River, and the whole area is laced with canals and fish farms. There is almost always a haze hanging over the base composed of moisture, smoke from the power plant, and smoke from burning refuse, and dust kicked up by the wind and carried in from the West. It is a sepia tone world out here. Today for some reason we noticed that the fly population has skyrocketed! I've got one of the little bastards roaming freely over my computer screen right now.
 
It has been a while since my last blog entry, mostly because precious little of any interest has occurred that I can talk about. We're staying very busy, and we're making progress. Your humble narrator's role in a recent mission actually earned very positive recognition in the form of a commemorative coin of excellence presented by the battalion commander; a significant boost for team Centaur.
 
We get bits and pieces of news from back home, but not nearly as much as I would like since I'm quite a news-junkie in real life. I've been tempted in the past to use this little blog as a soap box from which to vent my spleen on the gross misrepresentations I see in the news, and I promise to try to reign some of that in. However, I will say that what we see here on a daily basis bears remarkably little resemblance to how this conflict is portrayed in the media back home. Comparisons of the two frequently blur the line between comedy and tragedy. This war is so much more complex than the armchair generals can conceive, and the consequences of failure would be so much greater than its critics can imagine.
 
Anyway, not feeling too great at the moment. I strongly suspect that the omelet I had for breakfast this morning was a bit undercooked.  Ah well... Drive on.

4 comments:

georgia said...

Oh please Centaurian 73 write more and often. I so very much look forward to this info. Bob isn't such a LARGE communicator, so you keep me updated. All of us here appreciate all you write and do for us. You always put a smile on my face with your humor. Hope you get that DAMN fly. Keep good thoughts and think cool weather. Aunt Georgia is here for Ya!!!

s_hudson said...

Hi Lee, Hpe you guys are hanging in there. I love reading your blogs. You all are missed very much. Be safe!! :)

Kelly said...

I know exactly what you mean. As a liberal Democrat, what I see on a daily basis bears remarkably little resemblance to how liberal Democrats are portrayed in the media. Comparisons of the two frequently blur the line between comedy and tragedy.

Anonymous said...

The Frontline pieces "News War" and "Gangs of Iraq" are now available for online viewing.